Amidst the current Facebook scandal, I mulled over the idea of permanently deleting my account. Facebook and I have always had an on-and-off relationship, during which I would frequently go on seasonal hiatus. I created my account in 2007, so clearly, there’s some history. But after being inactive on Facebook for over 3 years, I only kept it for its side perks – the associated apps. So it was time to decide whether the apps were enough to keep me hanging.
Before you begin, decide and be sure you want to delete your account. If you suspect that it will physically pain your heart, trigger signs of withdrawal, or develop a loss of purpose, think twice about deleting. Or just bite the bullet and do it. It’s your choice.
Check the Apps that are linked to your account to ensure you’re okay with losing access to these apps in the aftermath. There’s a reason why Facebook is so popular and successful. On top of the stalk-your-old-friend and let’s-chat abilities, this smartypants is the gateway to hot apps like Tinder, Airbnb, Spotify, Instagram, etc. – you know, just to make sure you never have to leave.
Part 1: Archive Your Info
- Once you’ve logged into your account, click the drop-down menu on the upper right-hand corner. Click Settings.
- On the Settings page, you’re in the first section, General.
- Click on Download a copy. This allows you to keep a copy of your Facebook data.
- Click Start My Archive.
- In the “Please Re-enter Your Password” pop-up, enter your password.
- Click Submit.
- In the “Request My Download” pop-up, click Start My Archive.
- In the “Download Requested” pop-up, click Okay.
Part 2: Download Your Archive
9. You will receive an email and a Facebook notification once the archive is ready for download. [Note: It took 2 hours for Facebook to bundle my data.]10. Click Download Archive.
11. In the pop-up, re-enter your password. Click Submit to start downloading.
Part 3: Delete Your Account
12. Click the ? icon on the upper right corner, and type “DELETE” in the search bar.
13. The search menu will populate with relevant topics. Click on “How do I permanently delete my account?”14. Read the description, and click on “let us know.”15. A new window, called “Delete My Account,” will open. Click on Delete My Account.16. In the “Permanently Delete Account” pop-up, re-enter your password.
17. In the same pop-up, enter the code exactly as it is graphically displayed above.
18. Click OK to continue.19. Click OK to confirm deletion.
20. Wait 14 days, and don’t look back.
Congratulations, you made it! Now, off to your next distraction.